Friday, October 06, 2006

Mr2Nice123:– A single 40-somethings guide to dating

On line dating, not just a meeting someone, it’s a career!

OK, I have taken some initiative and joined two on line dating sites and asked a Real Live Guy out (more on that later). Oh, then I took my profiles off the dating sites. Then I rejoined.

Let me explain my uncharacteristic flip/flop on the dating sites. First there is some homework you need to do. Like writing a profile. In some cases you can’t even look to check out the goods unless you join, (which is kind of a waste, if you have pretty specific requirements, it would be nice to know if there are any sites better than others. Kind of like grocery shopping, I go to Loblaws for a different selection than Price Chopper). This can be an arduous process, and varies by site. Some sites rely heavily on drop down menus. For example; Turn Ons/Turn Offs: the choices being: thunderstorms, erotica, strategically placed tattoos, sarcasm….you get the idea. Not things I would put on my list, which would read more like: the ability to change a toilet paper roll, will eat leftovers, nice hands.

Other sites require you write everything yourself, which leads to a lot of the profiles sounding the same. Then there are pictures….please guys keep the shirts on! (Note to self: add ‘shirt off in profile pictures’ to ‘turn offs!)

So I finally did this and joined two sites. This was a few hours work, plus trying to get a decent self portrait with a digital camera.

So why did I erase everything? Because upon joining the site I was able to check out the competition! Then I got nervous. There are a lot of women out there who are stunning, well educated, and financially independent on these sites. When I came to my senses I realized there are also a lot of women on these sites who aren’t. So I rejoined.

I still am thinking about getting professional portrait taken, though.

Did you know there is a whole industry around this? Advice from Dr. Phil, professional portraits specifically for on-line dating, professional profile writing (talk about that personal touch), I’m sure there is a lot more, I can imagine….dating coaches…perhaps even a dating stand in?.....stylists……heck you could probably get married without even meeting the other person!!

~Soup

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...